Wednesday, January 3, 2007

What the heck is Lizardman anyway?

...a brief description, taken from http://www.americanmonsters.com/monsters/loverslane/index.php?detail=article&idarticle=237:

"One of the most horrifying stories to come down the cryptozoological pike in many a moon revolves around a mysterious, reptilian beast, which is said to stalk the swamps and back roads of South Carolina. Described as being approximately 7-feet tall with searing red eyes, scaly greenish skin, and three elongated digits on its hands and feet, the creature which has come to be known as the South Carolina Lizard Man, is truly an intimidating sight."

Well, since I moved to South Carolina last year, I have yet to encounter such a beast. Does he really exist? Who gives a crap? I did though, catch an unusual creature while fishing with my best friend this summer in a cove near my uncle's home in Eutawville, SC.

I had cast my line near an obviously fish infested bush which was nestled on a shady bank. As soon as it hit the water, I observed a creature slithering out from underneath the bushes, heading straight for my line. It only took a second to realize that it was not a cottonmouth water moccasin, the legendary lizard man, or one of his many offspring (all very common to the area). In fact, it was a small baby alligator not more than two feet long.

In an attempt to get a jump on the beast and avoid a rather up close and personal encounter, I quickly began to reel in the line. But I was too late. It snapped up my flourescent orange bobber, and at the same time one of its small arms became hooked. I reeled him up to the edge of the boat and caught hell trying to get the hook out of his leg with a pair of needle nose pliers, which were not quite as "needly" as his tiny sharp teeth were. He twisted and turned in the water as I tried to free him without causing further pain or damage. I felt really bad for the little critter. My friend (who shall remain anonymous), Troy, started to cry. I wondered how the lizardman would feel if it was him caught on the line. And would I have the same mercy with such a vile creature? Who gives a crap? I finally got the little booger off the hook and he swam away, probably to get reinforcements, like his big brothers or the sasquatch.

No comments: