Thursday, January 25, 2007

1983 Ford F250 fuel problems


For those of you have have ever had fuel problems with a newer model (1980's or later) vehicle, check this out. Underneath the dashboard on the passenger side, there is a device called an inertia switch, which cuts the power to the fuel pump when your vehicle is involved in an accident. I have never heard of this device until I read about it online in a Ford truck forum.


I was having fuel problems with my truck, and I thought the fuel pump was bad. Before I invested in a fuel pump, I decided to eee if anyone online had the same problems. I read about the inertia switch and learned that it is a mechanical switch designed to break the circuit to the electric fuel pump when a sizable impact occurs. This prevents the gas tank from igniting from a possible electrical spark in case of an accident. I assume that most cars are now equipped with this device. There is a little reset button on the top of it, so it can be easily reset after an accident.


I checked my switch and it appeared to be functioning correctly (it reset when I pushed the button), but when I tried to start my truck, still no gas. I disconnected the switch and ran a jumper wire over the two cables, and after a few minutes of cranking, she fired up. I did several tests on the switch and found that it didn't work all the time, like there was something loose inside.


I haven't checked a price for a new one yet, but its a good thing to know about, because a mechanic could charge you a fortune for a "new" fuel pump to replace you "junky old one," when all he had to do was reset the switch. The one in my truck is about a 2" by 2" square box with a white push button on top. It is labelled "inertia switch" and is easily located under the dash near the floor board on the passenger side. It might be in a different place on other cars and trucks. I don't know when they started putting these in cars, but I had never heard of it. I took 2 years of auto shop in 1988 and 1989, and it was never mentioned in class.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My truck will start up and take me about a mile and then it'll automatically turn off what is the problem I think it has to do the gas. Or maybe it the gas line for the gas pedal. It feels as if it's running out of gas but it has plenty of gas to use.

Anonymous said...

Great info, cured the problem on my 83 f250, thanks!