Friday, January 26, 2007

Roller Skates

I was flipping through the channels the other night and saw this movie on called "Roller Boogie." It was from the 70's and had Linda Blair starring in it... You know, the chick from The Exorcist...

Well, the movie was horrible, but I still Tivo'd it and watched part of it before deciding to delete it. It did stir some memories of when i was a kid (between 4th and 5th grade) back when roller skating was the shiznit. Mostly I remember some of the songs that they played back then. Here are a list of a few of them that stand out in my mind. When I hear these, I always think of Roller Skating:

  • The Police: Don't Stand So Close to Me, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da, & Every Little Thing She Does is Magic

  • The Cars: Let's Go and Shake it Up

  • Hall and Oats: Private Eyes and Maneater

  • Rolling Stones: Start Me Up

  • Journey: pretty much all of their hit songs...

  • Billy Idol: Rebel Yell and White Wedding


There are tons of others... I know there was some Genesis in there too, but these are the one's that really stand out. There were a bunch of "slow" songs too for "couples" to skate to. Since I was too young back then, that just meant time to waste some quarters in the Defender and Tempest games.

I got curious and wanted to see if any body still uses roller skates and I found these skates... Scorpion Quadlines (there's a video in the link) they are pretty cool, an updated version of the olde schoole metal, strap-onto-your-buster brown-shoe skates that my parents grew up with. I'd get a pair, but I would just wind up busting my ass on them.

No comments: