Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Big Middle Finger

OUCH!!!!
I smacked my middle finger (left hand) with a giant hammer tonight... and it smarts. In the past when I have injured my finger like this, the bleeding is usually underneath my fingernail and the pressure is very painful. My mother-in-law, who used to be a nurse, advised years ago to poke a hole in your fingernail to drain the blood and release the pressure. She did it for me back then and it worked well... much instant relief was felt. My fingernail turned black for a while and then grew out... a nice crusty scab right under my fingernail.
This time, all the blood is collecting on the fingerprint side of my finger. It's so swollen right now and my fingerprint is all smooth. No ridges at all. It's very marble-like and turning dark purple. I took some pictures because I want to remember what it looks like, and I have nothing better to do. Sorry it looks like I am flipping the double-barrel bird, but its the only way I could compare my two middle fingers...
I was hammering a couple of scrap pieces pressure treated 2x4's together with some 3-1/2" 16d nails, to make a work bench frame for my shed. I was in a bad position and was having trouble getting the nail started. I figured I'd hold it while I pounded away, but it was a terrible mistake. I missed the nail and smacked my finger right in the middle of my fingernail. I am very surprised that there is no blood underneath it right now.
I didn't feel anything at first. Just numbness as I looked at how flat my finger looked. Very creepy looking. When the pain finally arrived, I uttered some well chosen profanity as loud as I could, but I don't think it helped.
No one was around to hear me curse, so did I even make a sound? I was so mad afterwards and the rest of the work I did for the next 20 minutes was really half-arsed. I'll see what it looks like in the morning and decide if I am going to prick it or not. It really hurts!!! It could be broken, but I am not sure. It doesn't hurt bad enough to go to the doctor, but I'd be too ashamed to go to the doctor for such a funky reason anyway.
I'll endure... I'm sure.










No comments: