Monday, February 5, 2007

The Boy Who Peed His Pants

I remember being in elementary school, in the 2nd grade, and one day I was playing in the sandbox with my friend named Andrew. We had both brought Hot Wheels cars to school that day, and were making roads, ramps, and tunnels for the cars. Near the end of recess, I noticed that my friend was down on his knees, sitting on his feet behind him (sort of kneeling down). He had created this large sand hill from the ground in front of his knees, back towards him and up to almost his waist. He just sat there moving his Hot Wheels car up and down the crotch-hill he had made.

The bell rang and I grabbed up my car and was waiting for Andrew to come with me. He kept playing with his car, moving it slowly over the hill he had created. I said, "Andrew, the bell rang, let's go." He didn't budge. I took off for the door to the school and made my way back to my desk. Andrew was the last kid to come back in.

It was obvious what had happened as he came through the door. Andrew had peed his pants during recess and tried to cover it up with the sand from the sandbox. There was a giant wet, sandy, muddy stain that covered a good 12 inch diameter on the front of his pants. Oh, it was funny, and all the kids were laughing at him. Andrew stuck his hands in his pockets and headed for his desk to sit down.

As he walked to his desk, I saw that the uri-sand-mud stain covered the entire seat of his pants and was about the same size as the stain on the front. Andrew must have had a Big Gulp from 7-11 for breakfast that day. As he took his seat, his head was hung low in shame, and his face red and sad. His hands were still in his pockets and the teacher didn't even notice what had happened.

He spent the rest of the day with dirty pants. During lunch recess, we played cars again, and I never even mentioned anything to him about it. We acted as if it never happened, but it was still so obvious that it had. Although his pants had dried, the stain turned from sandy mud, to a large, crusty dust spot, still the same size as before.

I feel so bad when I think about it now. Poor Andrew.

No comments: